Smart Work Zones
Data Driven Protection
Stay at the forefront of safety. When you partner with AWP Safety, you benefit from next-generation technology that improves work site safety up to 70%, and gives real-time insights that help improve safety KPIs and standards.
Our Smart Work Zones leverage traffic technology including:
- Vehicle Telematic Systems & Cloud Based Systems
- Automated Work Zone Protection
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Traffic Monitoring
“As America’s leader in traffic management control services, AWP Safety is committed to embracing new technologies that simultaneously support safety and operational excellence.”
Mark Ludewig, AWP Safety Vice President of Safety
Vehicle Telematics &
AWP Safety is relentless in standardizing safety practices and measuring performance. Using advanced software and technologies, we hold ourselves accountable to consistently delivering safety for our customers.
AWP Safety uses advanced software and technology to track, analyze and advance safety in your work sites.
- People – We are the only traffic control provider to monitor and manage driver qualifications through the Fleet Response real time reporting system. We leverage MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) data to ensure all our drivers are safe drivers.
- Processes – Intelex software solutions are a crucial part of our Environmental, Health and Safety Platform. We use them to identify performance trends, determine root causes of incidents and make proactive adjustments to our processes and training.
- Vehicle Telematics – With Samsara Vehicle Telematics, we track driving behaviors, worksite video surveillance, fuel efficiency and proactive vehicle maintenance to serve customers efficiently and reduce your risk and liability.
AFADs: Automated Work Zone Protection
MoDOT data shows motorists are more responsive to Automated Flagging Assistance Devices (AFADs), and 78% prefer them over human flaggers. Our own data shows using AFADs improves work site safety 70% over relying solely on all-human flagging crews.
- Safety – Onboard Google/WAZE technology diverts 25% of traffic around the work site entirely, reducing the odds of an accident.
- Coverage – One Protector safely controls multiple AFADs from a roadside tablet. Fewer Protectors can cover more work zones, providing you excellent availability despite today’s labor challenges.
- Reduced Liability – Built-in surveillance cameras show what really happened in the event of an accident.
Intelligent Transportation Systems
AWP Safety uses intelligent transportation systems (ITS) to share real time data with motorists and help them make smarter choices when approaching work sites. Real time data is shared through message boards, live videos, real-time travel info, mobile apps and safety alerts.
- Prevent Accidents – Informed drivers are more prepared to drive safely – creating a safer work environment for your crews.
- Reduces Traffic Congestion – ITS offers alternative routes to divert traffic, reducing traffic volume and the possibility of an accident that could cause more delays.
- Offers Excellent ROI – Systems often save more money than they cost through lower accident rates and more efficient use of your workforce and assets.
Strategically placed traffic monitoring systems reduce rear-end collisions by 45% in active work zones. The data collected informs future traffic control plans and pinpoints areas to modify for in-progress plans, providing safer results.
- Real-Time Monitoring – Camera-equipped cones and barrels monitor traffic speed and patterns to measure the effectiveness of your work zone’s traffic control plan.
- Easy to Use – With the flip of a switch, equipment locates itself using GPS, gathers data and links to the web to share it with your team.
Technology & Innovation News
Advantages of Connected Infrastructure
Technology & Innovations | September 26, 2023
More work zone crashes happen on U.S. interstates than on any other type of road.* Traffic volume, high speeds and distracted drivers all contribute to crash fatalities. In 2020, the most recent date for which published statistics are available, there were 774 fatal crashes in U.S. work zones. Every one of them could have been…
AWP VP of Safety Shares How Technology Improves Worksite Safety and Efficiency
In the News, Technology & Innovations | June 22, 2023
AWP Safety’s VP of Safety, Mark Ludewig, has more than 30 years of experience in managing environmental health and safety. As a safety leader, Mark was asked by Crane Hot Line to share his thoughts on worksite safety and efficiency. In the article, “Technology Improves Work-Site Safety, Fleet Efficiency,” Mark shares how leveraging the latest…
Better Public Safety and Traffic Flow
Traffic Control Projects, Technology & Innovations | April 2, 2023
TXDOT and Williams Brothers Rely on AWP Safety for intelligent transportation systems Over the next decade, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) plans to complete and start nearly 16,000 highway construction projects. To keep crews and communities safe during major highway construction, AWP Safety leverages both human experts and intelligent technology. Challenge In south-central Houston,…
AWP AFADS: Safe & Effective Flagging Solutions
Technology & Innovations, Featured | October 20, 2022
Area Wide Protective is always searching for technology enhancements that better serve our customers and keep us at the forefront of the traffic control industry. For some projects, our teams leverage Automated Flagger Assistance Devices, known more commonly as “AFADS”. AFADs provide a safe and effective alternative to manage traffic in the workzone. What…