Automated Flagger Assistance Devices (AFADs)
AWP Safety is always searching for technology enhancements that better serve our customers and keep us at the forefront of the traffic control industry. For some projects, our teams leverage Automated Flagger Assistance Devices or AFADs.
AFADs are automated machines with an 8-foot gate arm, and traffic lights, controlled by our certified and trained flaggers via roadside tablet.
AFADs In Action
Managing Via Tablet
Benefits of AFADS
- Promote Safety – Smart Technology allows one Protector to safely control multiple AFADs, out of harm’s way; better compliance received from motorists; and alarms trigger immediately if a vehicle breaches the workzone.
- Improve Traffic Flow – Google/Waze technology diverts 25% of traffic around the workzone entirely
- Stay on Schedule – Fewer AWP Protectors are needed to cover each workzone, translating to greater service availability, despite today’s labor challenges.
- Cost Effective – Over the long term, AFADs can drive down your project costs by keeping you on or ahead of schedule and by reducing the chance of costly accidents.
- Reduce Liability– Built-in cameras provide video surveillance.
- Operate on a secure local area network (LAN), so AFADs work anytime, anywhere
- The light head provides high visibility compared to flagger paddles
- 360º Night Vision Cameras record 80 hours of video
- Gate arm links to onboard intrusion alarms
- 60+ Hour Batteries offer reliability on the work site
- Durable construction stands up to all types of work terrain and weather
COST EFFECTIVE – over the long term, AFADs can drive down your project costs by keeping you on or ahead of schedule and by reducing the chance of costly accidents.
RELIABLE – durable equipment is operated by Protectors who show up on time.
EFFICIENT – AFADs support our crews, increasing our availability and allowing our trained Protectors to cover more daily workzones.
SAFE – Missouri DOT found that motorists were more responsive to AFADs, and that 78% of drivers prefer AFADs over human flaggers.*
*Source: Evaluation of Automated Flagger Devices, MoDOT, 2017
“AFADs provide reliable and consistent coverage in the workzone. By leveraging them, AWP Safety customers are able to get the work of another Protector, providing a safe and smart workzone at a reduced price.”
Greg Ryan, AWP Safety Senior Director Ops Support
Interested in Using AFADs?
Our Sales Team can help you identify if AFADs technology is the right fit for your next project. Talk with us today!
Please complete the form below, and a local expert will contact you within 24 hours.